Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Re: the best driver of the #22 bill davis racing car

Labonte without a doubt. Hes the only one ouside of Sterling that did anything, went anywhere and has a championship to boot, out of all of them.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts

Labonte had his hard earned time in that car. He just beat Earnhardt out of his 8th Championship in 2000. But Labonte is one the most cleanest drivers around!!! look at his car at the end of a race that he finishes, it will always be the cleanest around!!!

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts

Has to be the only driver to actually WIN with BDR. Ward Burton. Doesn't matter what you did before or after, it's what you did WITH Davis (and not many can say they ever did much in his equipment. His organization peaked from 1999-2001).

BTW, take Marlin off the list, he never drove for Davis. He drove for Junior Johnson's #22 before Davis bought it.

·
Banned
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
point taken on Johnson owning the #22 back in 1992 but the question was about the great drivers that have been behind the wheel of the #22 and that have gone on to other things
BTW true the team went down hill fast the end of 02 /03 i why that was at least blaney was turned that around and if the reports are true about the buyout by Pollock and his partners buying davis out hopefully this does not mean the end

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
I wasn't aware of a buyout? Dave and Cat just re-signed. Where did you hear of a buy out?

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
I read it right after I read this one. I responded. Prolly a little too much from the heart, but I have inside knowledge from which I speak, so it is not conjecture on my part.
As far as the poll goes, I voted for Burton thinking of the 22 w/Davis as owner. I didn't think about the whole question, as far as from the 22 time on. It would be a close call between Marlin and LaBonte. If I could vote again, I would probbaly have to vote for LaBonte, even though Marlin has what? Two Daytona 500 wins?
LaBonte has a Cup Champ. So I would have to say Bobby L.

·
Banned
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ward had a daytona 500 win to his credit got to see that at daytona usa the next year that was without a doubt the highlight of the last 15 years for the #22 but labontes cup title success has been the hightlight of the drivers who went on to better things with sterlings 2 500 wins (what ever went wrong at mclure ) and lajoies 2 busch champions close runner ups

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
This is a difficult poll, because it depends on whether you judge their success in the #22 car or their success after they left the car. Obviously, Labonte would be the best afterwards because he won a championship; however, you guys may have forgotten that Sterling was on his way to a championship before he got injured. (That was the year McMurray took over the 40 car and got his first win.) Ward had a lot of success in the car, winning the 500, but he got that win because that was the year Sterling was penalized trying to fix his car under the red flag. If I went with my biased pick, I would pick my favorite driver, which is Dave Blaney, but his success is still to be determined, and he has had to take some lumps with Toyota and their first year. I will have to take a pass on voting on this one.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Thanks for the nice post KSpool. As you know, I am a Blaniac and it would be great to see him bring the #22 back to some sembelence of competitiveness. I had high hopes for next year w/the addition of JGR to the Toyota field of teams. W/their knowledge, and if it was passed on to the other teams, BDR/Dave could be a force to be reckoned with. But now the unsettling news of Jaque and his right hand man Pollock wanting to purchase BDR. If that happens, and Jaque takes Dave's CC and equipment along with his locked in starting spots for the first bunch o' races and we could be looking at another year of struggling. I hope not, cause it is really tough watching the races everyweek and not only seeing very little of him because they ignore him for the bigger names, (which being objective is only fair I guess) but when I do see him, he is losing spots in the pits, or getting caught up in an accident cause he is running in the back for whatever reason. He doesn't have many seasons left as the sports drivers are starting younger and younger and are in better and better equipment. Like me, he's not getting any younger....LOL! This may be his last hurrah year now that I think about it. Please Lord, let it be a good one! LOL! Amen...

·
NASCARFan
1,324 Posts
Ward Burton in the 22 CAT car for the win. A Daytona 500 and Southern 500 tell you all you need to know. No titles, but two pretsigious races.

·
In It 2 Win It
12,031 Posts
Oops ment to thank Harvick fan for the post not the guy that brings back a top from almsot 5 years ago.

·
NASCARFan
1,324 Posts
5 years dude........really???
I had no idea, I was searching for a thread and I saw this topic. No idea it was 5 years ago, man. I like talking about NASCAR in the past its my favorite time period.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.