Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back, Beckett did an experiment where they bought one pack and opened it. They sold the best card pulled and used the money to acquire more items to sell/trade with their goal being to see how fast they could reach a certain dollar amount ($1,000 I believe). Well, I have decided to put my own spin on that same experiment. I recently purchased a 1994 Score Traded Alex Rodriguez Call Up RC. It books at $800 in Beckett. I paid $200 for it. I immediately sold in on eBay for $521.00. Now I'm gonna use that $521.00 to buy/sell/trade my way through 2008 and see how much money I can end up with. My goal is to use the money I end up with to pay cash for a nice used vehicle (my 1997 Malibu is about ready to retire). I've already set up a seperate bank account for this experiment. I'll post each transaction here along with any remaining inventory of consequence. I welcome everyone's suggestions and ideas. Let's have some fun with this and let's make me some BIG $$$ !!!

Initial Investment: $200.00 Cash

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beginning Investment: $200.00 Cash

Transaction 1: Purchased '94 Score A-Rod RC for $200.00

Account Balance: $0

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Transaction 2: Sold '94 Score A-Rod RC on eBay for $521.00 (Received $473.31 after eBay, Paypal, and shipping fees)

Account Balance: $473.31

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Transaction 2: Sold '94 Score A-Rod RC on eBay for $521.00 (Received $473.31 after eBay, Paypal, and shipping fees)

Transaction 3: Purchased 3 Hobby Boxes of 2007 Bowman Draft Baseball and 3 Hobby Boxes of 2007 Donruss Elite Extra Edition Baseball for $448.20. Many of you may disagree with this purchase but I know I can trade a lot of this stuff with baseball prospectors for items with higher sell value while selling any big hits I may get on eBay. The boxes should arrive early next week. I'll post the results when I break 'em.

Account Balance: $25.11

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
So I take it, you are not counting the EBay fees etc.?

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FFighter_21 said:
So I take it, you are not counting the EBay fees etc.?
Yes, I took all those fees out of the total for the A-Rod I sold so that I could get an accurate tally of what I actually had to spend. The card sold for $521.00 but I only received $473.31 after fees.

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
outsk8u said:
LMK if you need me on high end Nascar movement ...PIMP has no FEES
Oh I already know. If I come across any good NASCAR stuff, you'll be hearing from me.

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: I have received and broken the 6 baseball boxes. I did pretty well with the Bowman. The Elite was even better with the final box being a "Hot Box" and containing 10 AUTOS/GU. The results are below. I hope to have some of them on eBay by tonight to keep the experiment rolling.

3 Boxes 2007 Bowman Draft Picks Baseball
I got tons of base, chrome, and gold obviously. The hits are below.

Refractors: Tyler Mach, Freddie Freeman, Jason Heyward, Danny Payne, Luke Hochevar, German Duran, Alex Gordon X Fractor 299/299, Scott Carroll Blue /199, and Julio Borbon Gold /25

AUTOS: Beau Mills Refractor /500, Devin Mesoraco, Blake Beavan X-Fractor /225

3 Boxes 2007 Donruss Elite Extra Edition Baseball

Box 1
Inserts: Taurean Green Aspirations Die-Cut /100, Rollie Massimino School Colors /1500, James Simmons School Colors /1500, Vince Dooley School Colors /1500, Daequan Cook & Cory Luebke College Ties /1500

Hits: Josh Smoker AUTO /719, Zack Kozart AUTO /409, Steven Souza AUTO /500, Taurean Green AUTO /500, and Drew Stubbs Jersey AUTO /100

Box 2
Inserts: Marc Gasol Aspirations Die-Cut /100, James Simmons School Colors /1500, Bill Walton School Colors /1500, Rollie Massimino School Colors /1500, J.P. Arencibia & Julio Borbon College Ties /500

Hits: Pete Kozma AUTO /719, Zack Kozart AUTO /409, Stephane Lasme AUTO /674, Tom Osborne Aspirations Die-Cut AUTO /100, Gene Keady Purdue Team Logo Patch AUTO /250

Box 3 - HOT BOX - 10 Hits !!!
Inserts: Taurean Green Status Die-Cut /50, Darwin Barney & Mitch Canham College Ties /1500, Bill Walton School Colors /1500, James Simmons School Colors /1500

Hits: Zach Britton AUTO /437, Clay Fuller AUTO /145, Josh Smoker AUTO /719, Rebecca Lobo AUTO /234, Nathan Vineyard Aspirations Die-Cut AUTO /100, Bradley Suttle Status Die-Cut AUTO /50, D.J. Strawberry AUTO Redemption, Dale Brown Event Worn /500, Nick Schmidt GU /500, Matt Dominguez GU Patch 1/50

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE: I currently have the "hits" from the Bowman Draft and EEE boxes up on eBay right now. Hopefully they will do well for me. I am pondering my next step when the money comes in from these sales. Ideas anyone?

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
geebi said:
How is this going man, forgot to ask you the past couple of weeks.
I have an update to add since I sold several of the pulls from my baseball box breaks. I'll update this weekend when I get a chance

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE:

I apologize that I haven't updated this recently. This project has taken a back seat as of late with other things going on in my life. I am officially back on track now. Here are the results so far. I'm looking for suggestions/ideas for the next move. Time to get this thing really rollin' !!!

Transaction 3: Purchased 3 Hobby Boxes of 2007 Bowman Draft Baseball and 3 Hobby Boxes of 2007 Donruss Elite Extra Edition Baseball for $448.20.

Transaction 4: Broke the 6 boxes mentioned in Transaction 3 and listed a few of the hits on eBay. Did fairly well with the sales. Cleared $217.79 after fees. Still have a bunch of singles including some nice refractors (Heyward, Hochevar, etc.)

Current Account Balance: $242.90

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE:

I've been wheeling and dealing over the last few months and have done quite well. I have a detailed list of most of what I have bought/traded/sold. The list is still packed away with some sales records from my shop. I haven't acquired a filing cabinet since I moved in June so some stuff is still boxed up in my closet. At any rate my balance has grown greatly.

I now have: $4,321.73

I also have some inventory left. Mostly vintage baseball commons from 1968-1977. I'm still waiting on my EEE Chris Davis AUTO from Donruss. That one will be a good sale if I ever get it! Looks like my girlfriend is going to buy a new vehicle with her yearly bonus check so I am probably going to buy her 2004 Chevy Cavalier. It is a nice little car with only 40k miles. Looks like this experiment may work after all! I'm sorry that I haven't updated this thread very often. I had every intention of doing so but it kind of took a back seat to everything else going on in my life: moving to Nashville, changing jobs, working on my website, etc. I still have a few more months to grow my balance. My goal was to get around $6K. I'm going to do my best to get there.

·
Crazy Supporter
11,650 Posts
Damn Dodger, you been selling those cocaine laced cards? I know you have been getting some great stuff and making some good sales. Hope to see some good pack pulls this weekend.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts