Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. The collectors Lounge has been different from other sites in many ways. One of these is the sense of commraderie and the close knit community feeling. There are many heart felt posts and repsonses which do not happen elsewhere. This is the place to post and remember what we as an on-line community have done and accomplished. So this is the spot to post memorable moments in which perfect strangers have become lifelong friends. I will start the thread with my first heartfelt moment on this site. Please join me.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What drove me to this topic is a small but emotional lunch date I had today. most of our older members remember my request to gather pictures of water towers for my former boss. The response was overwhelming. People who did not know Barbara went out of their way to gather pictures of water towers. She was absolutely blown away that people still cared that much about another human being. Barbara had been diagnosed with a terminal form of lupas. She is tough and honery, your submissions were paramount in getting her mental status to recovery correct. I had lunch with her and several other subordinates today. She looks great and wanted me to thank all of you who sent pictures. She was totally blown away by all of you and gives credit for you all helping to extend her life. This place rocks and is infested with people who really care for others. Thank you everyone!!!

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Well my stories are not as great as KD's but........

Lets start with what has got me in this sport to even get to this site, stick with me it all relates.

I had been asked for years to watch Nascar and I had not watched for years since my childhood. I always told my friends "there was no reason to watch cars take left hand turns for 4 hours". i would tell them "i could turn off the TV and turn it back on 2 hours later and guess what, they would still be taking left hand turns". So fast forward a couple years and I run across an old school buddy that i had lost touch with for about 10 years. Well I got to meet a couple of his friends which in turn I had also known for years but had long lost touch of. Well the first race of the 2005 year comes up, Daytona 500, and they all start buggin me to "come watch the race". Well they all got the before mentioned replies. They finally coax me to come with the offer of BBQ(im a sucker for it and they know it). I tell them I dont know who to root for and they tell me to just pick a driver. So minutes before the race they interviewed Tony Stewart and i liked his reply to a question of that somebody had something to say about him and his reply was "tell them that I aint that hard to find. If they got something to say, say it to my face". Which is pretty much how i feel.

So that is where i have started a renewed relationship with old friends, but that is also where the next step starts........

Next came the whole "Im not going to buy all the diecast". Well i think we all know where that has got me. It all started with one diecast. We would all go to the store and go hunting and started buying everything in site. Then came the days when i went out looking on my own so they couldnt get in on the same finds.

Which is what brings me to the next what i would like to call what will be a life long friend.......

I went to a target about 40 minutes away from my house that i normally didnt go to. Well as I am standing in front of the Winners Circle and compairing cars and decideing which ones I was going to buy, I hear a voice over my shoulder "do you collect alot of them?", to which i turned to see a rather stout guy standing there in his Harvick shirt and hat. We got into a conversation about who we were fans of and what we have and to find out that we only lived about 10 minutes away from each other. He explained to me that there was a site i could log all of my diecast. Well he gives me the site and days later I decide i was going to do it and contacted him through the site. Well about 3-4 months later he tell me about this site and gives me an invite. Well for the most part everyone on here knows how the rest of this story goes. To this day Larkin and I still get together and go either diecast hunting or fishing.

So I guess I can say that Nascar and diecast has brought me 3 very great old friends that i know I can count on and a new friend that I know will always be there for me no matter what. It has also brought me several great "online buddies" that i feel proud that I can call family on this site.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is not great about that Joker? You have made a great friend and are absolutely awesome on this site. There will not be any of our stories which out shadow another. They are all awesome. This is a great site and there will be many more stories told to prove it. This place cannot be beat. Thank you for sharing. I loved it.

·
#1 Harvick Fan
4,731 Posts
Everyone pretty much knows me on here. I have known a lot of you guys and girls for a very long time. I remember the good old WC forum days. The Original Dirty Dozen, and our 105 page spam thread. All of our bitching and whining to WC until they finally snapped and banned Geebi and DP and I said BAN ME TOO. Then Racer created this place, a place to say whatever we want a place to be ourselves talk about what we want and remember the good times. KD what a good topic.

Im sure the dirrrrrttttyyy dozen remembers the good ol' days.

I have met so many nice and caring people on here, and want to keep it up!!!

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
no one else has any stories? come on guys, share

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
It's funny, This should come up. I was a new member at WcCollector when the dirty dozen where doing there thing! I watched and I listened but I was new and I just wanted to collect. Well the dirty dozen started TCL and I stayed with WCCollector. I made Good friends with BBT, Blazer, Trevor and many others there. Then on a out of the blue date I get into it with the one and only NICK!! I get an email and it is Racer asking why I was saying this and why I was saying that and I'm saying WTF. I was talking about one thing with NICK and Nick was over here turning my words against someone and I couldn't even defend myself. Franklin ask me to come check out TCL, which I did. Never found the posting by Nick but I did find a new home that day! Not Long after I met Joker and yes we have become pretty close friends. I can say he and Dragon are two of my three best friends. Both of them are members here and I must say this site is almost a part of home now for me. Too many good friends and collectors here to mention but I can say. Many I will call freinds for a long time to come!!

·
Blast from the past
5,166 Posts
I haven't offically met anyone on here, however I for one can attest to so much. Being of the Dirty Dozen being banned for bitching about trucks on the WC site....so on so on....In turn with everyone from Racer, Geebi, DP, Ron, Spool, No1 (blacker now), Badbowtie, selby and a bunch others being old "friends" (we all had our issues and still managed to get along) to Joker, Fishin, FFighter, Dragon, Darce (honestly can't follow your name changes bud!) and all the other new blood here....We are a very disfunctional family. When my dad passed away Struggle and Snuggle aka the Bunnies to me..had everyone fill out a comment thing online turned it into a card and sent it to me. I still have it to this day. I can attest to the saying that real Nascar fans and collectors are a rare breed we get along more then other sports fans ever will. I know I forgot to mention a lot of names, but you aren't any less special to me or anyone else on this site. We are friends and families joined together because of a hobby. Some come and go because they can't take it but yet we all stay and work it out otherwise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
yes i am new in here to but for what little time i have been here this is a goog place to be.i have met jorker and he is a good friend to have in here two .like larkin.o i am from the black water for mississippi.

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
Well....I'm still fairly new to the online Diecast collecting community, even though I've been collecting longer then some of our members here have been ALIVE. :eek: As such I don't have these long-lasting relationships with many of the other members as others have...I only joined the online Diecast family in 2005. That I regret.

Anyway...unlike most here I hate football and I generally do NOT collect Winner's Circle. I've never cared for Winner's Cirlce but if that is the only version available I will get it...and that is one of the only times. (And for custom work, because they are easy to dissasemble, much easier then metal chassis cars).

I didn't know this forum even existed until the day I joined.

I won, on eBay, one of Desi's customs, the 2005 Dave Blaney Happy Birthday Jack car. I had known Desi for more then a year from a couple other message boards. After I won his auction (I didn't know that was him) he got my phone number and gave me a call. He started telling me about this place and I asked him to send me a link.

Later that night I went online and checked this place out. I joined instantly. I've been here almost regularly ever since. Every so often I'll have this issue were the board refuses to pull up. I don't know why. It usually only lasts for a few days.

Most of the "regulars" on here I already knew from DieCast Warriors or havn't really talked to all that much. With a few exceptions.

I did get to be pretty good friends with Darce, too. Every so often I will get a box filled with cars totally unannounced. When he won that lot of trucks on Ebay I congradulated him on the win, and the Stacy Compton truck that came with it, mentioning that I had been after one for a decade now.

About 2 weeks later it showed up in my mailbox! Totally unannounced! Something I'll always be gratefull for.

In fact, just this week I got a box of 8 cars from him without knowing they were coming!

As such, he's getting the two McMurray Crown Royal Fusions and McDonald's car from 2006 as customs from me. Normally that would run someone $90. Honestly, getting me that Compton truck would have gotten him a custom anyway but I had already told him I would work on the others :)

Right after I joined, one of the members here got me the Burney Lamar promo from the track...without telling me it was coming! That impressed me, because he knew me from atom. But he did that anyway. Unfortunatly, I didn't think to write down who it was, so I can't remember anymore. I swear I'd lose my head if it wasn't attached!

I also "met" other guys like Larkin and Joker and the other guys who post here and only here...And my collection is better for it, even though I've not gotten anything physically from them. I've never actually met any other members here in person.

I am actually kind of a "black sheep" on here if you will...I don't abbreviate much, if anything, I try to use proper grammer, I DON'T consider myself a Winner's Circle collector (I still have more then 250 diffrent ones, though), I HATE football and I rarely if ever bash any drivers...and if I do, it'll be one of three guys (Juan Pablo Montoya, Kyle Busch, Fred Lorenzen). Oh yeah, when I get into it, I tend to write little mini-books....I don't try to keep things short, it's just not my style. Most of those things are not normal trends here, LOL. ;) ;D

Yet I still fit in and have been welcomed with open arms....I'm generally an anti-social person, preferring to spend time by myself or with my family, with the extent of my human contact being message boards....Yet 4 people on this forum have my phone number. That says something, because I've posted on a couple of message boards for 5+ years without giving anyone that. That speaks of the character of the people that post here.

Is that the kind of milestones you were looking for? 8)

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I still think one of the biggest Milestone's on this site, is the fact that we are all pretty much patrolling it and making it the best it can be. The WC site was fun, being one of the original Dirty Dozen, but if WC didn't like what we said they just deleted it.
Another great thing about this site is how everyone is out there to help others out with their missing diecasts!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Billy Kingsley said:
Well....I'm still fairly new to the online Diecast collecting community, even though I've been collecting longer then some of our members here have been ALIVE. :eek: As such I don't have these long-lasting relationships with many of the other members as others have...I only joined the online Diecast family in 2005. That I regret.

Anyway...unlike most here I hate football and I generally do NOT collect Winner's Circle. I've never cared for Winner's Cirlce but if that is the only version available I will get it...and that is one of the only times. (And for custom work, because they are easy to dissasemble, much easier then metal chassis cars).

I didn't know this forum even existed until the day I joined.

I won, on eBay, one of Desi's customs, the 2005 Dave Blaney Happy Birthday Jack car. I had known Desi for more then a year from a couple other message boards. After I won his auction (I didn't know that was him) he got my phone number and gave me a call. He started telling me about this place and I asked him to send me a link.

Later that night I went online and checked this place out. I joined instantly. I've been here almost regularly ever since. Every so often I'll have this issue were the board refuses to pull up. I don't know why. It usually only lasts for a few days.

Most of the "regulars" on here I already knew from DieCast Warriors or havn't really talked to all that much. With a few exceptions.

I did get to be pretty good friends with Darce, too. Every so often I will get a box filled with cars totally unannounced. When he won that lot of trucks on Ebay I congradulated him on the win, and the Stacy Compton truck that came with it, mentioning that I had been after one for a decade now.

About 2 weeks later it showed up in my mailbox! Totally unannounced! Something I'll always be gratefull for.

In fact, just this week I got a box of 8 cars from him without knowing they were coming!

As such, he's getting the two McMurray Crown Royal Fusions and McDonald's car from 2006 as customs from me. Normally that would run someone $90. Honestly, getting me that Compton truck would have gotten him a custom anyway but I had already told him I would work on the others :)

Right after I joined, one of the members here got me the Burney Lamar promo from the track...without telling me it was coming! That impressed me, because he knew me from atom. But he did that anyway. Unfortunatly, I didn't think to write down who it was, so I can't remember anymore. I swear I'd lose my head if it wasn't attached!

I also "met" other guys like Larkin and Joker and the other guys who post here and only here...And my collection is better for it, even though I've not gotten anything physically from them. I've never actually met any other members here in person.

I am actually kind of a "black sheep" on here if you will...I don't abbreviate much, if anything, I try to use proper grammer, I DON'T consider myself a Winner's Circle collector (I still have more then 250 diffrent ones, though), I HATE football and I rarely if ever bash any drivers...and if I do, it'll be one of three guys (Juan Pablo Montoya, Kyle Busch, Fred Lorenzen). Oh yeah, when I get into it, I tend to write little mini-books....I don't try to keep things short, it's just not my style. Most of those things are not normal trends here, LOL. ;) ;D

Yet I still fit in and have been welcomed with open arms....I'm generally an anti-social person, preferring to spend time by myself or with my family, with the extent of my human contact being message boards....Yet 4 people on this forum have my phone number. That says something, because I've posted on a couple of message boards for 5+ years without giving anyone that. That speaks of the character of the people that post here.

Is that the kind of milestones you were looking for? 8)
Yes Billy, it is. It is for what you are feeling. I am very glad to see you here.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
Billy who?

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
I'm here for ya Willy... uh I mean Billy!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm a lurker. I check in most everyday and read the posts but 99.9% don't pertain to anything I give a damn about. There are very few Gordon diecast fans on here and I get a kick out of the crap most of you choose to waste your money on. It's like watching people at Walmart. But, occasionally I get a nugget of info that I can use and act on and my collection is better for it. At least with the expansion of the site there are a lot less of the "Awesome" and "Great Find" and "Way to Go" posts to boost the post count of some members. (Those spam posts were a big downward spiral. I'm glad y'all finally pulled out of it)

The whining has gotten a bit dull at times so I just hold on to the thought that I collect little cars and I suck my thumb while I log on to read the drivel so many of you post. Funny, isn't, how I continue to log on at all. But, it's addicting to read the posts of some folks on here that I recognize as blow hards that really don't know as much as they think they do. It's interesting to read the posts that ultimately make some of you out to be smug little diecast nazis.

This is a great site. I can't complain. It's a lot more interesting than the go fast and turn left behind a competively advantaged Tin Can Toyota that has been on TV this year. Keep on keepin' on. After all, what would I do without my daily dose of American consumerism at it's best?

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
LOL, I never figured you to come out of the lurking deeps to post a post like that! I must say so true and a quick laugh to get the day started. I must agree, the spamming has so greatly improved from what was being posted back when we actually had the post counts, The bickering and bitching could surely come down some but then again, I guess if there wasn't any then the site would be just as boring as the COT in NASCAR. Without a little mixing it up it would just be the same show different track every day. Thanks for your two cents worth there Jared! I must say I enjoyed a little chuckle before starting off my day in the turn left circle track of a life I have to live.
P.S. Any new customs in the works lately? I still proudly display the one I got from you.... Remember which one?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't believe I've even done a custom since that Gordon Always in our hearts I did for you. The last two years have been a whirlwind. I moved halfway across the state for a new job, bought a new house, work an exorbiant amount of hours, have been planning for a wedding (which will be next week, finally) and I am slipping into alcoholism with the all the beers I drink as I try to keep this house and it's yard in order. But, when I get things in order (that'll never happen, I know) I have a few lined up. Now WC went and changed their packaging so any "new" customs are gonna be a challenge. That and I need to get Photoshop so i can make some decals.

I love this site and I write most posts with tongue in cheek. It definately isn't boring.

·
HARD TO SEE PAST SMOKE
4,449 Posts
I came here in the Fall 2008 after scanning google for some diecast and was amazed about this forum. I had been a part of auto, airplane, and historical forums, but could never find a niche for auto racing. And well, I found it here. Going on my second year of being a member I have met a lot of really cool people that I've never had the priviledge of meeting in person. (That will change this year at Dover!) When my grandfather passed away this past Christmas, I was in the worst shape of my life. He was my friend and taught me everything I know about mechanics and just about everything else in life. The support and true compassion I received from the DCZ community really changed my rigid thinking about people in general. I also remember reaching my 1,000th post, a day that I have enshrined in my heart... just kidding. I wanted to give a shout out to some of my buddies on here. First, Believe was perhaps the nicest guy in that he sent me a free Tony Stewart figure the first week I came here on behalf of my joining the forum. Second, rtl24pyscho aka Bruce, I've probably had more transactions with than anybody else. He's a great guy, customizer, and a good friend. Third, Checker Flag Zone aka Kyle Bailey. One of the nicest guys on here, gret business and products. Always reliable! Couple more guys, Reutimann_00, minicup, MTruex56 And for the rest of you that I had the great time of chatting with before, thank you. I've had so much fun on here , especially with sponsorship program that I've been pretty annoying with at some times. If all goes well, and I am praying to GOD that it does, the TGR sponsorship will be a success and that will be one milestone DCZ and its members can remember. Before I go, I want to thank Franklin and Brandy for their hard work and dedication of maintaining and supporting this site. I am probably on here more than my email, so thank you. To all members, thanks for everything and I hope to continue interacting with all for years to come. God Bless all of you and this great country in which I am honored to be living. GO TONY STEWART!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts