Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my next installment, I present the Ertl NASCAR diecast I own. A few of these started my collection of NASCAR diecast over 3 decades ago.

I have a mix of cars in the package and opened. Here you see a few opened cars from the movie Six Pack from 1982, another from Cannonball Run in 1981, and of course the General Lee from Dukes of Hazzard. There's also Maco and Hardee's promo cars.

I especially like the pullback set, but my favorite set here is the original paper and display set of Richard Petty STP and Darrell Waltrip Gatorade 1980 Chevy Malibus. I believe these were the first officially licensed NASCAR diecast to be produced in 1/64 scale. It's weird to think these are over 40 years old in as good shape as they are. I'm certainly not the original owner, and I often find myself wondering what this shipper set went through to remain completely intact and together. Maybe some store ordered it and then went out of business before they could put it out on the floor, then it ended up in a storage unit for a couple decades until someone finally cleared it out.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tire Font

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Motor vehicle Font Recreation Games Automotive exterior

Shipping box Rectangle Package delivery Font Packaging and labeling

Font Packaging and labeling Rectangle Publication Advertising

Font Handwriting e-book readers Electronic device Technology

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
General Lee with a Confederate flag? Now I'm triggered. LOL Very nice group of cars there.
I know you're kidding, but honestly, it is a little triggering to me. Regardless, as a sort of history buff, this diecast is a reminder that like everything, pop culture has its issues. Taking them at their word, the show runners and actors have said they didn't think of these things back then, and I'm fascinated that it wasn't a big discussion point for so long. Anyway, I haven't read through all the rules of this forum, but I'm guessing that to keep things light, there are probably rules against discussion of serious social issues and politics, so I'll just leave it at that and say, it's an interesting piece of diecast history.

love old school
It doesn't get much more old school than this!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts