Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Biggest NASCAR Fan in Connecticut
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the biggest "got away from me" moment you've had in collecting? Ex. getting sniped in an auction, missing out on a rare diecast, ect.

·
MoPaROrNoCaR
30,043 Posts
What's the biggest "got away from me" moment you've had in collecting? Ex. getting sniped in an auction, missing out on a rare diecast, ect.
I guess everything on my current want list. I wasn't interested at the time, and now, no mas, apparently. Weeks, months and years go by and they aren't turning up.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Not purchasing both 1/24th Racing Champions 1998 1/24 Matt Kenseth Lycos diecast that were in clearance area at a Target store in the winter of 1998. If I had bought both of them I could have sold one for "All the Money" (according to the diecast pricing guides) and retired by now.....

·
Premium Member
16,907 Posts
1998 Racing Champions Bill Elliott Get Back With Big Mac. I could have had it around 60 bucks and I forgot about the auction.

Same goes for 1993 Alan Kulwicki Hooters and 89 Mark Martin Folgers Team Caliber.

I don’t collect 1/64 anymore but I was at a Target and this was when Lionel took over the authentics line and they had the Austin Dillon Darlington car from 2015 there. I should have bought it considering how rare it is and held on to it for a while and then flip it.

Reactions: Logano2022

·
Sunday Money
2,069 Posts
When I first started collecting Dale Sr. authentically autographed die-cast an opportunity to purchase a Dale Earnhardt Sr. authentically autographed of the below die-cast for $1,000 surfaced from a dealer in Daytona Beach, Florida.

Back in the day, I thought $1,000 was crazy. Took me 10 years to acquire the below die-cast for around a value of $750. I traded 8 Elites (duplicates I had) for the below pictured die-cast.

I saw "the" autographed one surface again on ebaY years later ... selling for $5,000.

1998 Dale Earnhardt Sr. Daytona Win 24k Gold Elite (100 produced)

Dale Earnhardt Inc. sold the below exclusive color chrome and gold finish die-cast after death. I called and was so excited to get one of each at the time. Knowing how rare they are and the market value, I wish I would have purchased a case of the Gold finish die-cast, especially the Wrangler scheme. The Gold finishes sold for around $150 each and have sold for over $2,000 when they surface.

The Gold GMGW had 89 produced and the Gold Wrangler had 69 produced.

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
My biggest "got away" wasn't a diecast, it was a bottle from the 1800's from my great, great, great grandfather's brewery. Just as I went to bid, on a phone, we lost signal/internet. Something I was willing to pay $150 for sold for $15 and another one hasn't been listed. This was 4 years ago.

·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My biggest "got away" wasn't a diecast, it was a bottle from the 1800's from my great, great, great grandfather's brewery. Just as I went to bid, on a phone, we lost signal/internet. Something I was willing to pay $150 for sold for $15 and another one hasn't been listed. This was 4 years ago.
Ouch, that's a really tough one to swallow. I hate when that happens.

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
There were several I can remember from my Jeff Gordon days. One that got away but by a act of GOD I was able to pick up over a year later was my Jeff Gordon Baby Ruth promo bank. Only 5 made and known to exist. Passed on it the first time but not the second. Once Jeff Gordon retired I sold off my entire collection. I sold it to another private Jeff Gordon collector thru Diecast Digest magazine for $2,800.

The one that got away but I was able to acquire by GOD and his grace!!!
A7103219-4CB6-440B-B563-9D3A039EFD92.jpeg

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Not sure if I've really got a "got away" diecast, as I've eventually acquired most of the cars that got away. But one that I missed out on that still irks me when I think about it is a custom 1/24 Matt Crafton #88 TIDE truck. No idea why this particular truck was so high on somebody's want list.

·
Mark Martin CraZy
640 Posts
I suppose this is "one that got away," but it was actually about a dozen. Back in the day, KayBee Toys was having a sale on aging diecast and they had a crap-ton of 1/24 1981 Buick Regal's from Ertl's American Muscle "build it yourself" line. Five bucks. I was just starting to do customs, so I only bought three. But once I realized how good they were to work with, and how hard it was to find early 80's Regals, they were all gone. I hit every Kay Bee's east of the Mississippi... and only found one more. I kick myself to this day.

·
Registered
841 Posts
There's a couple:
Ted Musgrave 01 Bellsouth 2000 promo diecast with hauler. Saw it once on ebay for $50 but didn't have enough at the time and never saw it again since.
Brad Keselowski 09 Talladega Win. Regret not pre-ordering it.
AJ Allendinger 44 Valvoline
Kasey Kahne 4 Red Bull 1/24 Scale. Could have gotten it on their site but hesitated.
Trevor Bayne 21 Motorcraft Daytona Win. Should have bought it as it was my first Daytona 500 in person.

·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll add a few of my own:

• Back in 2019 I ended up moving, so in the process I lost my old job and had to get another one. During that time I had to cancel a majority of my preorders, including Chase Elliott's LC Elite NAPA Filters, Kurt Busch's Elite Kentucky win, William Byron's Days of Thunder Auto'd Elite, etc. But none of them was as heartbreaking as Corey LaJoie's Auto'd Scooby Doo diecast... ever since it sold out I've never found another below $200.
  • Reed Sorenson's 2008 Polaroid, COA Autographed. Passed on it for 40 bucks a few years back.
  • Reed Sorenson's Nicoderm CQ. Passed on it for 35 bucks last year, haven't seen another surface since then.
  • Reed Sorenson's 2009 McDonald's. Passed on it for 60 bucks.
  • There was this really cool Brian Vickers 2014 Martinsville raced version that popped up on Facebook last year, by the time I got paid it was already gone.
  • Tony Stewart's 2008 Subway Talladega raced win that sold for 85 bucks last year on Facebook. I was the third person to DM them.
  • Kyle Busch's 2018 Charlotte Elite win for 80 bucks, I was the second person to DM them...
However, the one that haunts me the most is Ryan Blaney's Autographed 2018 Roval raced win... right after it released I bought it off of Ebay for 90 bucks, turns out it got lost in transit...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts