Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
It's All About Racing!
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The race scene in southern California is certainly being challenged. First, the closing of Irwindale Speedway, and now this statement from Auto Club Speedway:

“A Superior Court has suspended operation of the Auto Club Dragway. The suspension results from a successful challenge of a San Bernardino County sound standard by a group of concerned residents. San Bernardino County officials had approved an amendment to the county sound standard in 2010 to accommodate louder sound arising from races at the Dragway. The Superior Court found that the underlying environmental impact report, which the county relied on to approve the sound standard amendment, was not sufficient.

“We are currently reviewing the court ruling and evaluating our options moving forward. We hope to have more detailed information about our future operations at the dragway soon.

“The NHRA Street Legal Drags on Saturday, March 3, will be canceled.”

Read more about this court decision here: Auto Club Dragway suspends activities due to noise complaints - Autoweek

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Wow, people in the IE are complaining about something that provides jobs to the area which got hit so hard (being sarcastic). Stupid people need to find better things to do with their time then complain about somethings like this.

·
Gordon to Blaney
5,574 Posts
If you don't like the noise then don't live next to a racetrack...ridiculous.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
It's all about people being stupid and selfish in their own little worlds. This impacts them one, maybe two weekends a year? We have the same problem here in Virginia, but with a different issue. In Virginia Beach, we have a Master Jet Base. The Navy flies (guess what?) jets in and out. People move close to the base and complain about jet noise. The Navy also provides a large part of the economy to this area, and when they threaten to move, everyone gets up in arms.

Don't even get me started on the environmentalist assholes.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Is this the same thing like people moving to an area where there's a gun range and then complain about the noise coming from the gun range, even though the gun range was there 50 years before these people ever even thought of moving there?

·
NASCARFan
1,324 Posts
It's all about people being stupid and selfish in their own little worlds. This impacts them one, maybe two weekends a year? We have the same problem here in Virginia, but with a different issue. In Virginia Beach, we have a Master Jet Base. The Navy flies (guess what?) jets in and out. People move close to the base and complain about jet noise. The Navy also provides a large part of the economy to this area, and when they threaten to move, everyone gets up in arms.

Don't even get me started on the environmentalist assholes.
Yep, I been on the AirForce base there in 1994, not now...not after 9/11 and the war when everybody starting getting sensetive about civilians, I would not harm a fly on that base and they still kept my family from going in there.

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
I honestly like Auto Club 4-5 wide racing! where else can u get that other than Dega. I do agree that Atlanta and Darlington deserve another race take Kentucky away!

·
NASCARFan
1,324 Posts
Eh, never liked Auto Club Speedway after the Car of Tommorow was issued...the races there have been more parades than races because the drivers have a lot of room to run where they want to, in the early 2000's the cars were built for that type of racing the new COTs are not as built for that style. The problem with Auto Club is there are too tracks many like it on the schedule already, Kentucky threw its hat into the ring and hosted a race, not a very good one. Auto Club suffers from being too much of a cookie cutter and the long trek out west after Daytona became stale after they replaced North Carolina with an early west coast trip in 2005, still would not mind seeing the series come back to Rockingham after Andy Hillenberg saved the place. These cookie cutter racetracks, California, Kansas, Chicagoland, and Kansas(count Vegas out because it does have character now with its banking.) they were the brainchild of NASCAR's track owner's to find fans out west and get more fans, however California has always had a rich racing history and it needs to find a unique course other than Sonoma that has some uniqueness to it. Question is though, what will happen to Auto Club Speedway?

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Losing Auto Club Speedway would be a big hit to the area. I hope the track is still good to go it's nice to have at least one track in the area to go see Nascar.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Have been to Vegas many of times and enjoy it. It's nice to have a track in a major market like LA that's under a 2hr drive. I'm also making my original statement on the fact of the jobs that would be lost in the area.

Well Vegas is only 4.5 hours from LA. You'd probably see a better race there anyhow.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts