Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Busch Wacker
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nascar Rule book:
The three-year rule, means you can not use a body of a car that is more than three years old.

Why is this still in place, when we change the cars every three years anyways? Does it only affect Camping World Trucks?

·
Banned
17,329 Posts
they probably dont care for the small teams

·
Banned
2,445 Posts
Its because the manufactures dont want someone going out and winning in an old car. They want to see a current "in production" car running the races.

The changes arent as much as they used to be but it wouldve been like in the olden days when you had a 2005 Fusion, nascar didnt want you to run an old Taurus.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
The rule is different per series, I believe. I remember when the Ford Taurus came out in 1998. Some teams were still using the Thunderbird. In 2003, when the new Pontiac Grand Prix came out, some teams stuck with the 2002 model for superspeedways because the believed it had an aero advantage.

It was funny in the Busch North Series to see some teams using Buicks and Oldsmobiles years after the manufacturers left NASCAR altogether.

There have been some teams, mostly the smaller Nationwide teams, using equipment that was more than a year old. But it doesn't happen often.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
the truck clay greenfield finished 10th with in the truck race at daytona this year was from 2005, but they updated the nose and put the new correct 2012 silverado logo on it so nascar okay'd it, probably thinking he wouldn't even make the show, much less finish in the top 10.

·
The Busch Wacker
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so basically that rule is not longer in affect in sprint cup starting next year, since the new car debutes?

I can see it still be infect for nationwide and trucks since COT and TOT have been around since 2010 and 2009

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
the truck clay greenfield finished 10th with in the truck race at daytona this year was from 2005, but they updated the nose and put the new correct 2012 silverado logo on it so nascar okay'd it, probably thinking he wouldn't even make the show, much less finish in the top 10.
That's a different situation. He used the same chassis. Dave Dion won A Busch North race at Oxford in 2005 with the same chassis he used to win a race at same track in 1992. Obviously it wasn't the same car, just the same chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts