Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Landon Cassill Fan
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that most teams reuse chassis from the previous season or two in competition. But what happens to the majority of them after that?

I know a few are transformed into show cars, and some are put in museums or set up as static displays for one thing or another. Are most of them just scrapped?

Whatever happens to them, it seems to be pretty covert.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
A multitude of things happened to them in the past. Before the COT car was developed a used up cup and nationwide cars would be bought up by ARCA and Busch East teams. Since they can't use the same cars in all leagues now, once the teams are done with them a few are sold off to collectors, some buy and race them in the amatuer series and some go to companies like the Petty Driving Experience. I don't believe the chassis have changed much in the past few years, so wrecked cars will have a new front and/or rear clip welded on as long as the mid section is not destroyed.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I forgot to mention that we converted one of Dale Sr.'s chassis into a chassis dyno car, and one of Bowyer's very first COT cars into a pit stop practice car....just a few more examples

·
Landon Cassill Fan
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to mention that we converted one of Dale Sr.'s chassis into a chassis dyno car, and one of Bowyer's very first COT cars into a pit stop practice car....just a few more examples
Oh yeah...I remember seeing footage of one of Kyle Busch's old cars being used as a pit stop practice car.

I completely forgot about RPDE. When I went there at Richmond two years ago, they had a #18 M&Ms, a #88 Hellmann's, a #8 Freightliner, a Blue Douche, a #11 FedEx (orange), and a #00 Aaron's. The #18, #11, and #2 were COT.

·
Just CraZy
20,750 Posts
Oh yeah...I remember seeing footage of one of Kyle Busch's old cars being used as a pit stop practice car.

I completely forgot about RPDE. When I went there at Richmond two years ago, they had a #18 M&Ms, a #88 Hellmann's, a #8 Freightliner, a Blue Douche, a #11 FedEx (orange), and a #00 Aaron's. The #18, #11, and #2 were COT.
nice, but I think I came up that. JK I have seen a few cars up here at a local go kart track. They have a Jerry Nadeau Delphi and a Lepage Nations Rent from 2001.

·
Just CraZy
20,750 Posts

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,090 Posts
a lot are sent to tracks for practice too...used for fire/safety/extrication drills...cut to shreds, burned, you name it...they get spread around a lot.

·
Registered
938 Posts
What a shame to see these beautiful cars rot away like that. I sure would love to have a piece of that Mark Martin car.

·
Just CraZy
20,750 Posts
id like the Earnhardt or the Jarrett cars.

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
They get cut up into pieces and sold ex: hood,door,quarter panel etc.. and im sure some parts are recycled and used in all of the activitys mentioned above.

·
Landon Cassill Fan
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thought I'd add another use for these cars: ARCA.

The origins of some of these should be obvious...and keep in mind that most of these cars were racing only a couple of years ago.

·
Just CraZy
20,750 Posts
The Johnny Benson one is clever with the number. Btw who raced the first car? Can put my head around what driver raced it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts