Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me I was brought up watching NASCAR and my family always pulled for Bill Elliott. As I got older I started collecting Bill's diecast (1997) and it really took off from there. I always wanted to meet Bill but never got the chance even though I live 20 or so minutes away for where the preview used to be. In 2002 I finally got to meet Bill. I was shaking so bad. To me Bill was NASCAR and the best ever and I got to meet him. From 2002 on my collection really evolved from RC and WC (mass market collectibles) to more high end stuff (Action). I now only like 7 cars to have one of every car action has produced of Bill and I have 20 or so signed. Since 2002 I have met Bill 5 more times. Each time I get the same feeling and start shaking. But all things must come to an end....or do they? In 2003 Bill semi retired so I had to pick a new driver. I tried pulling for Gordon and Johnson but I just couldn't for some reason. Then a few years later comes Paul Menard. I thought I finally found someone I liked and could pull for. WRONG. Paul was supposed to do an appearance at Charlotte a couple of races back and he didn't show. Everyone was wondering why and the guy at his hauler told us he had decided to go fishing instead. I would have understood if something had come up but to cancel on your fans because you wanted to go fishing when you were there was messed up. So then comes JPM to NASCAR. I had been pulling for him a long time but when he left IRL and went to F1 I kind of forgot about him. Mainly because I didn't really care for F1 and thought those races were boring. So I had finally found the driver to replace Bill. Well I wanted to meet him also and did 4 times this year. I am trying to get one of every 1:24 (minus white gold, and platinum) cars signed. I only like 3 at this time including his 08.

So with all that said what is your story with your driver/drivers. What made you collect their diecast and how far have you come collecting their stuff.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
I was not a NASCAR fan at all. I was a sprintcar fan. I collected RC sprintcars and made custom models of sprinters. I had met Dave Blaney when he got in a sprinter for the very first time. I was an on-track announcer at our local track, and interviewed him prior to that first ride. He took off and very quickly became a local hot shoe, and just as quickly became a WoO star.
Well as he went to NASCAR, so did I and I have followed him from the beginning. I guess you could say he brought me to NASCAR.
I have at least one of every 1/24 car that was made for him, except a couple of last years. I am waiting for the cost to come down a little more, and for my pockets to get a little fuller. LOL! I know they will be there, not like everybody wants them.
I have met him several times and everytime gets better. He even remembers me from the interview. I finally asked him at the last signing I saw him at, and maybe he was humoring me, but he said he remembered me.
He is very nice and I sure hope he wins a race or two before he hangs it up. I believe that if he does not get an extension from BDR, he will prolly retire. Then the search for another favorite will begin, as I am addicted to NASCAR now. There are a few prospects, but trying to keep an open mind.
I like Brad Coleman, Tim McCreadie and Erin Crocker, but they are all just starting so, time will tell if they are even still around when Dave quits. I believe Brad will be, so he could be a very good choice. Wadda ya'll think? LOL!

·
TCL Original
7,021 Posts
Well, for me, NASCAR and my support of Bobby Labonte started almost 10 years ago. I was assistant manager at the store that I know manager. We had done a racing pool over the weekend. We put in pieces of paper with the numbers 1 through 43 on them and since there was 7 of us in the pool, we each got 6 numbers and 1 number was left in the pot. One of the numbers I got was Bobby Labonte's qualifying position for the spring race in Atlanta. Well, as it happens sometimes with Atlanta in the spring, the race got postponed because of rain, so they ran the race on Monday. At that point, I didn't know any drivers except the name drivers you see on Sportscenter and such. I knew I didn't have Gordon or Earnhardt so I figured I had no chance. Anyway, on Monday I was stocking aisle 2 and Josh, the guy who set it all up and was listening to the race in the meat room, came up to me and handed me the cash and told me I won. I was like, "Hell yeah!" I asked him who won the race and he told me Bobby Labonte. So, with that excitement behind me, I started doing research on him and NASCAR and the more I read about him, the more I liked him. I started going into stores and seeing RC's and WC's and was buying what I thought was cool and happy that I could buy replicas of Bobby's cars that way.
The more I watched racing and the more I rooted for Bobby, the unhappier I became with just the little 1/64's. I signed up for eBay in 1999 and saw ALL the things that were out there and it was the beginning of my mind-losing adventures. As it stands now, there are only 7 1/24's produced for Bobby that I do not own. 5 of those are from 2007, which means I'll have them soon, and 1 of the other two I'm not even sure exists because I've yet to see one.
Bobby became champion in 2000 and I couldn't have been happier. Things haven't been so great lately and he hasn't won a race since 2003 in Homestead. He came oh so FREAKIN' close in 2005 with his FedEX adorned #18, but the damn Unibrow took it from him on the last lap in Charlotte. He's humble, he's funny and he's a champion. How could I not root for him?

·
Blast from the past
5,166 Posts
Like Believe I have been a huge Labonte fan since the mid 90's. I was only around 10 or 11 when I finally got into racing. I always had watched races with my dad but usually I fell asleep. After Bobby left BDR to JGR I started to noticed "that green car" as I called it. For two years that what I called it to be exact. Then 98 came around and my dad got Dale Sr.s 1/24 I was curious at that point because I had hot wheels and the norm. but nothing like that!. He ended up getting me a couple Labonte's that year and from there on it's history. I met him in 2002 and had a blast in 2004 I was able to get a tire off of one of his cars too. Rest is history..Now my other driver started in 2002 my dad met him he was a no name rookie in Busch but he was from Emporia Kansas and tore up our short tracks every weekend. He was Clint Bowyer a man pegged by Richard Childress to become a star. I remember back to when they announced he would run a handful of races and our local papers were all over it with Late Dale Earnhardt's team owner hires local "nobody" and another was Local driver gets Busch chance with best team in series. I watched him race saw him get better and better and pegged him quickly. I still follow Bobby all the time why wouldn't I? But I also follow Clint now too because it's amazing how be became who he is in Nascar.

·
Don't thank me, thank Justice Fruit Pies!
5,325 Posts
I always enjoy these. Here are my stories:
Wimmer: I met him in 2001 at Darlington, very nice guy, and during the Busch race I was like "Hey theres the guy I met...hope he does well. He seems nice." Then in 2002 when I was watching the 2002 Bristol Busch race (the one that Harvick and Biffle got into it) I saw an unsponsered 23 car finish 3rd, and I was thinking "Wow...thats pretty cool that a guy with no sponser was able to finish that well." And I remembered that was the driver I met the year before, and remembered how cool he was, and decided to follow him more. I went to the Bristol Busch night race in 02, where Jimmy Spencer was leading, and the sponserless Wimmer was gaining with a few laps left, I was rooting for Scott very hard to win that race, seeing I'm not big on Spencer, but Scott ended up second. Every week since that race I have found myself rooting for Scott, and I got to watch him win his first Busch race on T.V., and it was a great feeling. I told myself that once he makes it to Cup, I'd have another favorite (along with Nadeau...who at the time was still racing.)

Leicht: Well...as you all know, me and Eddie (Mearsfan) are very good friends, have been since I was in 1st grade. He ended up moving to Ashville when I was in like 5th grade, and he told me a few years ago that he went to school with Matt Leicht, and that Matt's cousin raced, his cousin being Stephen. I didn't think much of it at the time, but three years ago or so, Eddie told me Matt's cousin would be racing in his first Busch race, and I figured I'd watch and see how he does. Then the next year, Stephen made his first Cup race, and I went up to Eddies for the weekend and we both watched Stephen race on T.V. And of course, knowing his cousin, we were pulling for him. And since then, just kept pulling for Stephen. I guess it helps that I know his cousin and all that.

Kahne: Not sure really why I like Kahne, I think the main thing is when he ran in Busch, he drove a Ford, and I was a big fan of Fords, and something about him just made me root for him. That and me and Eddie used to argue which "Kasey/Casey" was better when they ran Busch.

Nadeau: I was 5 at the time...and liked the number 13. Nadeau ran the 13 car...so to make a long story short, I liked him mainly for his number. Then he went to the Cartoon Network car, and being 5...I liked the Cartoon Network car as well, and him running it kept me liking him I guess. Rooted for him his entire Nascar career, and still supporting him if he decides to come back.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I used to watch Nascar when I was a kid, but no die hard watching. I was a fan of Richard Petty. Well I probably stopped watching Nascar when I was about 9. After that, several years later, I had several friends that would tell me to go to a race with them or watch one with them. I always told them that there was no sense in watching a bunch of cars go around in a circle, taking left hand turns for 4 hours. I used to tell them to turn it off and i would predict what would happen in 5 minutes without even looking and tell them that i bet they are still going around in a circle.

Well 2005 rolls around and my friends finally talk me into watching Daytona 500 with them. They were like "its the biggest race of the year" and you are going to enjoy it". I was still against going to it, but then they said they were BBQ'n and I looked at it as "at least i get BBQ". So when I get there, I told them that I didnt think I was going to enjoy it and that I was probably going to fall asleep. They told me to just pick a driver, pick a car or pick a number and at least get behind somebody to root for. I told them that I only knew of 4 drivers, Petty is retired, Sr is gone, I didnt like Gordon even before i watched racing from seeing interviews on ESPN and what not and there was no way I was jumping on the Jr bandwagon. All my friends are diehard Jr fans. So I watched the preshow and was getting bored and then they interviewed Tony Stewart. Well I cant remember who said what but the interviewer said that somebody had said something about Tony and what was his reaction to what was said. I will never forget what was said next "Tell them if they have something to say about me, tell them to say it to my face......I aint that hard to find". That is where I picked Tony. I loved his in your face attitude, because that is something that I have said before. I wear my heart on my sleeve as many of you know and he is the same. I felt a connection there between fan and driver. I was on the edge of my seat for the whole race. After the race I went home and looked up all the information I could on him and learned all kind of things, watched all kinds of videos and tried to learn. Shortly after that I bought my first Stewart shirt (which I was wearing at the meet and greet last night) and then my first Nascar diecast.

Well month later, Stewart made the Chase and Jr did not, which ate at my friends. Everytime they would give me a hard time I would remind them "and whos driver made the chase?" and then after that would be and "whos driver won the Championship?". I loved the fact that I walked in to Nascar at the beginning of the season and picked the Champ. I also liked Johnson but kept that quiet for a while being that Johnson is Gordons team mate and my friends would have ate me alive for that one, but then I finally admitted to it a couple races later, but still if I had to pick Stewart was the man and thats all there is to it. So now 3 years later and now going into a 4th year of me watching I was able to finally meet Stewart in person and I will follow him all the way through this year with the Toyota and so forth if he changes sponsor, team, make of car or whatever. I have acquired just about all of Stewarts cars over the last few years, sizes, variation, packaging and what not. I have almost everything ever released that WC has put out, just short a few of the haulers and I will have 100% of it, and a few still need to get a couple of the Action ones to be totally complete.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
I started watching Nascar when I was very young. Since it aired only once or twice a season on ABC's wide world of sports it was always a major event around our house. On the weekends we would go to the local track and one of my brothers school mate and friend was a driver. We would pull for him on the weekend and he would win a good bit of the time. Well he moved on to to the grand nationals, and then to winston cup. His name Lake Speed. As some of you know Lake never did that much and he finally retired with one lonesome win to his name. Dale Sr. was a up and coming star and Richard Petty was retiring so my new driver was Dale Sr. I never was a real serious fan but I started collecting diecast in 1989 and had started getting a pretty large size collection of Lake Speed and Dale Earnhardt Sr. diecast. Then in 2001 I finally got to meet Dale Sr. and get his autograph. Boy was I disappointed! 5 1/2 hours of waiting in line in 90 degree temps. to get him to hen peck some scribble on the side of a Winners Circle box of him holding up the trophy of him winning the 1998 DAYTONA 500. Not one word, not even a look up at me after waiting all that time to meet my idol. This was the week before the 500 in 2001. Exactly six days later we lost Dale Sr. in the crash and I was simply crushed. I was bitter with Dale but at the same time very sad that he would not be there for me to pull for, he wouldn't be there for me to hate, he plain and simply wouldn't be there.....
Well Long story short I had watched some Nascar truck series races and had seen Kevin Harvick race. Richard decided to put him in Dales car. I was a Chevy man, had all the Goodwrench collectables so it only seemed fitting that I at least pull for Kevin. Race # 3 comes along for the season and Kevin wins it and honors Dale. OK I have myself a new driver. Two month's later I meet Kevin for the first time. He and Delana were so nice! They both were friendly, they donated some things to local fund raiser event I was helping out on, Kevin signed a couple of diecast for me and then the end of the evening there was a drawing. The first drawing was a signed car. I won it and decided to donate it to be auctioned for the fund raiser to help raise money. Several people were very surprised that I would put the car up for auction. I Guess it Surprised Kevin, Richard Childress, and Delana too. They talked for a few minutes and decided to get five cars from the dealership where the signing was taking place and they all three signed each car and they donated all five to be auctioned. Kevin walked up to me shook my hand and said that that was a cool thing I did. He then handed me a never before seen Sylvania car signed and told me to put it in my bag and keep it for myself. I've met Kevin a total of four more times each time he is always cheerful, has a big smile and, to me he has always held himself as a champion for his fans! He may not have that trophy, he may not have the glory, but for me. Kevin Harvick has been everything that I liked about Sr. and a whole lot more! I may pick at some of you from time to time about your picks in your drivers, I like others have drivers I like and drivers I dislike, But to each of you that took the time to tell your story. I can only hope as a fan you can enjoy the driver you pull for as deeply as I have had the opportunity to enjoy Kevin and Delana. I not only enjoyed reading each story but also the memories of the past while writting this.
On one final note before I post this I also must say. There are a lot of really good memories that I have had the chance to enjoy over the years but yesterday was surely one of the top five! Having met Eric in a store while out diecast shopping and getting to see him grow as a fan and collector has been a great enjoyment. Yesterday seeing his face when he got Tony's autograph was priceless! I can honestly say as much as I enjoy collecting diecast I enjoyed even more meeting a friend, sharing memories of past and getting to see his face light up after he and his son got their first Personal autograph of his favorite driver was better than finding any diecast I have ever found! I'm really glad I got to share that moment Joker!!!!!

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Great story Fishin. That's what it's all about. I have never had the pleasure of meeting Kevin, but I have been very impressed w/how he handles himself. From the beginning til now. When he went after Biffle, and when he went after JPM. He is passionate and full of fire. He will win a cup or more, and then will go on to be a legendary car owner. We will be seeing him around for a long time to come. Glad you shared your story w/us. Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
My dad and uncle were NASCAR fans, so I kind of got sucked into it. I first took notice in 1993 and became a Davey Allison fan, but that obviously didn't last long. After he died I didn't really follow NASCAR anymore. Until 1995. I turned on a race and didn't know who to pull for. At the time, Ken Griffey Jr. was my favorite baseball player and he was #24. So I pulled for #24. He ended up winning the race and I thought "hmm, I'll have to remember the name Jeff Gordon."
So I was a Gordon fan until about late 1998. By that time I got a Playstation and the game NASCAR 98. My dad and I used to play the game all the time as Bobby and Terry Labonte. He'd be Terry and I was Bobby. So I was briefly a Bobby Labonte fan, but that didn't last long. I still like him and like to see him do well, but not a 'fan.'
Also in late 98, Jeff Burton was really doing well. But what about his brother? I'm a fan of the underdog, so I started cheering for Ward Burton to beat his brother, Jeff. In 1999, I was a full-fledged Ward Burton fan and I still am. That brother v. brother only continued as Ward finished 2nd to Jeff three times in '99.
In mid-2000, I was watching an ASA on TNN. I didn't know anyone in the race, maybe a couple former Busch/Truck guys that didn't make it, but I took notice of the #05 car. It was only his second start and he was looking at getting his second win. Sure enough, he did. I remember saying "This guy is going to Cup." And he did. Scott Wimmer made his Winston Cup debut later that season with Bill Davis Racing in Atlanta. It was only a coincidence that Wimmer was driving for BDR, the same as Ward Burton. I now have no love for the Davis organization.
In 2004, I was at my first NASCAR race as a reporter. I went to NHIS in September and my job was to cover the Truck race and Ricky Craven's debut. After the three-hour rain delay, the race got underway. Just then the guy I was with told me I had to follow some guy named Denny Hamlin because he was racing for EJP Racing and that team is based in Maine. After Craven crashed with Matt Crafton, I only had Hamlin to follow. He had been in the back-teens most of the race, but worked his way up to second before pitting. He fought his way back to 11th. I talked to this guy after the race, this was only his third EVER start in NASCAR, and he said that he should've won the race. I was impressed by the brashness. A guy who is a pre-rookie thinking he should win a race? Been a fan ever since. I just hope he can take his head out of his ass and be a little better with his fans.
Lastly, I'm also an Andy Santerre fan. He's a local driver from Cherryfield, Maine and he worked his way through the ranks. His story is pretty incredible. He had a disease that nearly killed him, but he battled through and took up auto racing. He earned rookie of the year honors in the NASCAR Busch North Series and was ROY in the Busch Series. He also took the win at Pikes Peak in 1999. That's when I took notice. I didn't really know him until late 1999, probably more like 2000 when he signed with Rensi. He's a classic underdog story and I liked pulling for him. He left the Busch Series and went back to the North Series and won four-straight championships. He's since retired and is now going to run the Old School Racing Tour.
That's it, I guess. Those are the only drivers I follow all the time. I also like Joey Logano and I'm eagerly awaiting his Nationwide debut with JGR.

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
I root for a lot of drivers....In fact, there's very few I dislike...and some of the ones I used to dislike, I no longer dislike (IE, Cale Yarborough, Kurt Busch). In fact, the list of drivers I truly dislike can be counted on one hand.

This is a list I came up with of my all time favorite drivers on another board-unlike most I CLEARLY don't limit myself to one!-and a breif summary of the why.

Dale Jr.- Dale Jr's personality. Note his father is not on my list. I didn't root for his father when he was alive, but dang I sure miss him now that he's gone. I've rooted for Dale Jr. since 1996, when I first saw him in the Busch series. He's always had a great personality, and he's not phony-you know what he's thinking most of the time. For some reason he pretty much became my all time favorite the first time I saw him. Can't really explain it other then that. Coincidentally, while I have not talked to him, he HAS seen my Fotki-apparently my reference album (over 4000 NASCAR photos from the 50s to today) was disgussed on his radio show...I don't get Sirius so I don't know for sure! That's about the highest honor I've recieved! :)
Carl Edwards-Again, Carl's personality. Always grinning, just happy to be where he's at. The back flip sealed it! I've been a fan of his since he was in the truck series.
Jerry Nadeau- Originally, I rooted for Jerry for no reason other then he was from Danbury, CT, which is a place I go sometimes more then once a month. I've been rooting for Jerry since 1995. As time went on, I got to learn more about him, his personality made me a fan for life. I post on his message board and have traded posts with him.
Ernie Irvan-When I discovered the sport at Christmas 1992, Ernie was the guy I picked to root for. I don't really recall the reason anymore, I've just always liked him! The photo I have from the first day is of me holding the #4 car as I opened the box, too.
Brendan Gaughan-Yet again, Brendan's personality. He's just a funny guy, so I root for him.
Junior Johnson-The Last American Hero. Really, how can you not like Junior Johnson? Quick wit, almost magical personality...Spend any time researching Junior Johnson and you'll be a fan too!
Fireball Roberts- Don't know really why I "root" for Fireball. He died 20 years before I was born. From what I've read about him, though, he sounded like a great guy.
Ted Musgrave- I've been rooting for Ted since at least 1994. Probably 1993. Don't really know why. I still root for Ted, and when I finally got to see him win a Truck race last year, I was escastic. After being a fan for more then a decade, it was the first time I had ever seen him win.
Kenny Wallace- Kenny, again, for the personality. I got his semi-autobiography for Christmas, and I like him even more. I also have a new respect for Mike Wallace after reading it as well.
Joe Nemechek-Don't really know. I just kind of do. LOL.
Boris Said- Yes, I'm a Saidhead! I've always had big hair, and I think I rooted for Boris because he did too. He's also pretty funny when you hear him talk.
Neil Bonnett- I am more familair with Neil as an announcer. When I discovered the sport, I watched Winners regularly and saw him on all the races he broadcast. When he made his comeback in 1993, I was really happy, and I'll never forget his line after flipping at Talladega in 1993-I don't remember the exact wording but something about complete silence being not good was a classic. I was 8 years old when it happened so forgive me for forgetting the exact words! LOL! I was really upset when he was killed in 1994.
Terry Labonte(He's also my mom's #1 Favorite driver)- I rooted for Terry because he was my mom's favorite. I do like, however, how he doesn't make waves. He gets the job done and you don't realize he's a threat to pass you for the win until he's already gone by.
Dick Trickle-Another great personality in NASCAR.
Rick Mast- Another driver I've just always rooted for. My brother still jokes with me about him being in the #1 car.
Kyle Petty- Great personality. I've been following Kyle since he was in the Mello Yello car. I also have supported Victory Junction since day 1, even though I have hardly any money myself and havn't been able to give much.
Jeff Gordon- Jeff led the first lap I ever saw. It was also the first lap he ever led. (1993 Daytona 500 lap #1). I've kind of been with Jeff since the beginning, at least of his Cup career, (I've seen the 1992 Hooters 500, so it kind of counts!) At the time, with me being 8 years old, Jeff was the youngest guy out there so I guess I just rooted for him because of that. Remember, this was a long time ago! His immense talent just sealed the deal. (Side note: I'm older then three current Cup fulltimers-Kyle Busch, Reed Sorenson and David Ragan)
Soapy Castles- Because of the name, Soapy. His real name's Neil.
Rusty Wallace- When I first started collecting Diecast, I had a heck of a time finding the Road Champs Rusty Wallace car. I chased it and chased it. As such, I ended up accumulating a large Rusty Wallace collection, topped by a giant light up car my uncle gave me (Side note: The same uncle is the one who gave me the cars, at my mom's direction, on 12/26/92. He also once dated Kelley Earnhardt). I didn't get that Road Champs Rusty Wallace car until 2006 or 2007, when I scored a water-damaged one from Tater's local shop! The longer that time goes on, the less I like Rusty. He doesn't seem like too nice of a guy, and I wouldn't want to be Steve Wallace...
Chargin' Charlie Glotzbach- He was the driver of the first Wingcar I got in 1/64.
Tim Richmond- His personality. For sure. He had a great one. It still angers me how badly NASCAR treated him (spreading that he was a drug user-Totally false! He got aides because he liked hookers, not from being a drug user) and I've read extensivley about him. When I bought the collection of VHS tapes from Dave's in 2006, I got the 1986 Southern 500, which he won. It was the second race I watched, the first being the 1987 Riverside race, as I had never seen a Riverside race before.
Tim Flock- It was originally because of Jocko Flocko, his rhesus monkey co-pilot for 6 races in 1953. In time, I learned more about him and saw several interviews with him-both current, before he died in 1998, and from his hey-day, from What's My Line in the 1950s (I love 50s Game Shows). He also had a great personality.

So, it would seem that overall it's based on driver personality...

My disliked drivers: Fred Lorenzen, Wally Dallenbach and Juan Pablo Montoya. I did like Wally as an announcer, however, which actually surprised me, because I couldn't stand him on the track.
That's pretty much it! There are other drivers I don't outwardly root for, but I don't really dislike.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
If Billy dislikes a driver, that really says something, and Billy dislike Peeblo. Wow!!!

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I started in in the early 1980's, we used to be able to watch Mark Martin and Al Schill local hero's at the time at the Milwaukee Mile. Then in 1991 when Alan Kulwicki, our Hometown Hero, started becoming a force in the Cup Series, I started to get more into the entire scene.
In 1997, we built our house, and my Mom wanted to make my stepson's room, who was 6, with a Dale Earnhardt theme!!! It turned me into a fan after doing research from that point on!!!!
I started buying diecast for his room, but then started buying for me also!!!
In 2001, when Dale passed on at the Daytona 500, I had to explain that he passed away. Then our friend, that managed Copp's Food Store, offered us free tickets for 2 at the Bristol Night Race. I had to accept and take my Stepson, which he had the time of his LIFE, So did I!!!!
I became a diehard collector from that point on!!!!
Once Sr. was gone, I liked Harvick, but lost interest and Stayed with Jr. for the rest of my collecting days!!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I started out following Kyle Petty because I collected Hot Wheels at the time (this was in 1999). When Kyle lost the Hot Wheels sponsorship I also decided to cut back on the Hot Wheels. When Dale Sr passed away I started doing research and became a fan of what he accomplished (and his attitude!) and I started to keep up with Jr and Kerry. I lost my grandfather in June of 2001 so in a way I could relate to what Jr was going through. When Jr won at Daytona In July that sealed the deal for me! Diecast, coke bottles, clothes, the whole nine yards! On 1-2-08 I lost my father and he was a Kurt Busch fan (he liked Jr too), So I will try to follow the #2 car more as well. I've met him a couple of times, and he was always super nice. Which leads me to other drivers I like, usually after I met them or they were teamates of Jr.

Richard Petty (nicest driver I ever met, My dad used to tell everbody the same thing since he met him as well)
Steve Park ( super nice, wish he had a full time ride)
Michael Waltrip ( Jr ex teammate, not bad to meet in person)
Martin Truex Jr ( Great guy to meet, good driver, ex Jr teammate)
John Andretti (grew up in Indy, always calls in to the local radio shows, super nice guy, takes time to help out in the Race for Riley)
Ricky Craven (another SUPER nice guy, wish he had a ride)

Honorable mentions go to

Ryan Newman,Terry and Bobby Labonte,Kevin Harvick,Kyle Busch,Greg Biffle,Ricky Rudd,Sterling Marlin,Kasey Kahne,David Stremme, Stacy Compton,Terry Cook,Brendan Gaughan,Matt Crafton,Paul Menard,Todd Kluever,Elliott Sadler,Robby Gordon and Carl Edwards. I'll stop now cause I could go on for a while! :canadian:

I guess I'm like Billy, the drivers I don't like I could count on one hand!

·
Registered
724 Posts
I was basically born and raised a Mark Martin/Bill Eliott fan. When Bill became semi-retired, I still rooted for the no 9 with Kasey in it.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
It started out in the mid 80s when my dad took me to my first Pocono 500. He was a big Petty & Dale Sr. fan & told me I had to pick a driver to cheer on. So we got to meet some drivers & I got to meet a cool driver who sat there & had chatted with some fans & took some pics of. He was Rusty Wallace!! I stuck with him as my #1 driver with Sr. as my second favorite. Then when Petty stoped driving & Dale left us my dad had picked Dale Jarrett & Dale Jr. to cheer on. I picked Tony as my other driver in 2000. The rest is history or what I can remember. LOL

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I started watching NASCAR in about 5th grade with Tev (Selby) and he finally got me into the sport after I refused so long to watch it. Then when I started I really like Jr. for his personallity as well as racing style, he seemed very clean and nice. I disliked his fans, and still do for the most part up to this day. With that I loved his teammate Park, and I would still be pulling for him if he raced today. My first Busch race he was injured, lol again I was with Trev. My dad was always a Burton fan and I love pulling for him, he's a great, clean, awesome driver and I would pull for him anyday as long as he isn't goin against Mears! Hank Parker Jr. I was just pulling for the underdog in the Busch series and I really hung on to him and pulled for him in the Busch. As for the driver who is my favorite

Mears: I started pulling for him right in 2003, everyone thought Mcmurray had the ROTY award and I just pulled for his teamate. Then about Bristol time I went to the busch race and I picked up one of his diecasts and just stuck with him the whole time. Him not doing good encouraged me to keep being his fan, and I knew one day he would land a good team and win a race.

·
NASCARFan
1,324 Posts
Favorite
Richard Petty-My grandparents and uncle liked him. His accomplishments speak for themselves, 200 victories, 7 titles, he may have raced until he was a competitive footnote but I am doing research on his era.
Dale Earnhardt Sr.-His attitude, his aggression, and his black and silver number 3 car that he drove. Dale was the last driver that appealed to the working man, if you loved working your farm, hunting, and fishing, you pulled Earnhardt. He knew how to show those young boys how it's done.
Dale Jr.-He's hip, he fits a new generation of fans, he is very popular and his red #8 captivated fans from the very beginning, he's real and honest with things, he does not bull crap you. His move to Hendrick Motorsports has helped him learn, he had to take some time to adjust to the harder working style but he has been productive.
Tony Stewart-Not my mother's favorite, he'll say whatever is own his mind and will be very outspoken about subjects he sees as unreasonable, but I like him for that. He's a throwback in every sense of the word. Will race anytime, anywhere. His 2011 title run was epic as much as miraculous. You know what you are getting with Tony and the fact he owns a race team with Stewart-Haas and won a title with it proves he is an amazing owner.
Last but not least,
Jeff Gordon-Why? His Rainbow Paint Scheme! Then later evolved into the Flame Paint scheme. Also his prodigious driving talent for such a young driver, he cut a wide swath through NASCAR racking up 50 wins from 1992-2000 and the championships in 2001. Probably my all time favorite driver.

·
R.I.P Justin Wilson
13,983 Posts
I always enjoy these. Here are my stories:
Wimmer: I met him in 2001 at Darlington, very nice guy, and during the Busch race I was like "Hey theres the guy I met...hope he does well. He seems nice." Then in 2002 when I was watching the 2002 Bristol Busch race (the one that Harvick and Biffle got into it) I saw an unsponsered 23 car finish 3rd, and I was thinking "Wow...thats pretty cool that a guy with no sponser was able to finish that well." And I remembered that was the driver I met the year before, and remembered how cool he was, and decided to follow him more. I went to the Bristol Busch night race in 02, where Jimmy Spencer was leading, and the sponserless Wimmer was gaining with a few laps left, I was rooting for Scott very hard to win that race, seeing I'm not big on Spencer, but Scott ended up second. Every week since that race I have found myself rooting for Scott, and I got to watch him win his first Busch race on T.V., and it was a great feeling. I told myself that once he makes it to Cup, I'd have another favorite (along with Nadeau...who at the time was still racing.)

Leicht: Well...as you all know, me and Eddie (Mearsfan) are very good friends, have been since I was in 1st grade. He ended up moving to Ashville when I was in like 5th grade, and he told me a few years ago that he went to school with Matt Leicht, and that Matt's cousin raced, his cousin being Stephen. I didn't think much of it at the time, but three years ago or so, Eddie told me Matt's cousin would be racing in his first Busch race, and I figured I'd watch and see how he does. Then the next year, Stephen made his first Cup race, and I went up to Eddies for the weekend and we both watched Stephen race on T.V. And of course, knowing his cousin, we were pulling for him. And since then, just kept pulling for Stephen. I guess it helps that I know his cousin and all that.

Kahne: Not sure really why I like Kahne, I think the main thing is when he ran in Busch, he drove a Ford, and I was a big fan of Fords, and something about him just made me root for him. That and me and Eddie used to argue which "Kasey/Casey" was better when they ran Busch.

Nadeau: I was 5 at the time...and liked the number 13. Nadeau ran the 13 car...so to make a long story short, I liked him mainly for his number. Then he went to the Cartoon Network car, and being 5...I liked the Cartoon Network car as well, and him running it kept me liking him I guess. Rooted for him his entire Nascar career, and still supporting him if he decides to come back.
Holy cow another Leicht fan. I didn't think there was another one on this site lol. I have been a fan of has from when he made his RYR debut in 2005. I was lucky enough to be at his cup debut just because it landed on a Pocono weekend. Do you happen to have these diecast? I have seriously never seen them other than the ones I bought. They are really cool.

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Wow this is old. I had only met Bill a handful of times now I'm over 40. I had got all of the JPM cars signed. They are gone due to lack of interest. I have a baby on the way. My Mom, 2 grandpas, and great grandpa has since passed away. I've had 3 jobs since then and am now a Network Administrator. Broke up with a girl I was dating and married the best girl I could ever find. Man it's amazing how life changes in such a short period.

·
R.I.P Justin Wilson
13,983 Posts
Wow this is old. I had only met Bill a handful of times now I'm over 40. Crazy stuff.
I didn't even realize this was from 2008....wow. Geez I quoted about Stephen Leicht and back when that post was made he was still driving NNS.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts