Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
RCR/Realtree CraZy
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it an indication that the car was bought on clearance or as a close out?

·
I love lamp
2,328 Posts
Not completly true. I know a guy that is collecting the same high number on every car in a set. I dont really car what the number is and wouldnt buy it if the price was jacked up because of that.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
i think where this whole deal with the earlier cars being more sought after came about is when they were still using tampo graphics........as the production run went along the tampo graphics sometimes got lighter on the cars that were made later in the run ...not sure how true it is ..but remember hearing it from somewhere ..........

·
Impartially partial
9,048 Posts
Only number that means anything is a door number.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk
And to me, it's not worth much more than the retail anyway. A Jeff Gordon 00024 shouldn't be selling for $200.00 when a Jeff Gordon 00023 or 00025 is selling for $55.00.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
And to me, it's not worth much more than the retail anyway. A Jeff Gordon 00024 shouldn't be selling for $200.00 when a Jeff Gordon 00023 or 00025 is selling for $55.00.
It's just what people like and or are willing to pay. Is a door number worth more? I think so, but how much is the question each person has to answer themselves.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
It's just what people like and or are willing to pay. Is a door number worth more? I think so, but how much is the question each person has to answer themselves.

i hear ya ......i have the harvick nationwide rheem car from 2010 door # ....got it straight from khi.....lucky i guess........its cool because it was a luck of the draw thing....but door numbers really arent something that i go after.

·
Premium Member
10,762 Posts
Door #'s are ok but I prefer #0001-0005. I have always liked single digit numbers.

·
Evil Henchman
4,621 Posts
I couldn't care less about the numbers, door or otherwise. I've got a large collection & I've never even looked at any of the numbers. Like others have said "worth" is what folks are willing to pay. Using the Jeff Gordon example if a dealer is asking retail price for car 023, $200 for car 024, & retail for car 025 then car 024 is only "worth" $200 to the person willing to pay that much for it. To me, & I like Jeff Gordon having over 120 1/24 cars of his, I'm buying one @ retail price & not the worthlessly elevated, in my opinion, "door number" for 4x the retail cost. Not intending to resell anything the "worth" is not there to me. Just my 2 cents!

·
Ohio State and Nascar Nut
622 Posts
On a normal car I would think 100 is a good deal for any door number.
Of course certain drivers and paint scheme will demand a little bit more.
On the rare and hard to find pieces even a double up would be Ok for me.
The Okuma car is right around 350-400, so in my book 700-800 would be the range.

·
Look Who's Back!!
2,265 Posts
I like #1. To me there is something interesting about the first car produced.

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,090 Posts
I couldn't care less about the numbers, door or otherwise. I've got a large collection & I've never even looked at any of the numbers. Like others have said "worth" is what folks are willing to pay. Using the Jeff Gordon example if a dealer is asking retail price for car 023, $200 for car 024, & retail for car 025 then car 024 is only "worth" $200 to the person willing to pay that much for it. To me, & I like Jeff Gordon having over 120 1/24 cars of his, I'm buying one @ retail price & not the worthlessly elevated, in my opinion, "door number" for 4x the retail cost. Not intending to resell anything the "worth" is not there to me. Just my 2 cents!
and this is a pretty common understanding of the majority of collectors...I buy to COLLECT, recall cool races, pick up neat paint schemes, support my favorite drivers...I invest in corporations and stocks/bonds when I want to make real money...

they all look absolutely the same on the shelf...I had one door number and traded it away..couldn't give a blip and to me folks chasing door numbers are fools chasing tails...it's nothing more than the stamp indicating the position it came off the assembly line...that's pretty much it...folks hype the heck out of it if and only if they have a vested financial interest to gain in it...otherwise... it means squat...if you walked into my nascar display you wouldn't have a clue where to begin checking for ink blobs indicating production order...whoopty doo.

you'll notice you get a strong voice from the few who actually care...and most just don't care enough to even comment. That pretty much sums it up. Granted on the tampo deterioration I can see a reasoning there, but I couldn't tell the difference..I just don't care that much about it...they all look great on display.

·
Ohio State and Nascar Nut
622 Posts
What makes collecting great is we all have different views on what we want in our own collection.
I would love to have the Okuma #0029 in my collection, but that price is way off.
I have cars never produced that did not cost close to that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Numbers mean nothing to me!! It is COOL however when you do happen to get a door number. Ordered one car from an online dealer and it turned out to be a door number car. I wouldn't go chasing after it nor pay a premium for it but it was kinda neat to get one. I do happen to have a Sr. 2001 Goodwrench car with serial number 2001. Other than that I have no special numbers.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
I agree it's all about what you want for your collection. I think it's cool if you manage to get a door number but in no way do I feel they're worth more money. Especially the money that seller wants for the Okuma on E-Bay. Again JMO but I don't see why door numbers are worth more money.

·
RCR/Realtree CraZy
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm a collector too, not a salesman. I've just noticed that sellers on e-bay usually advertise if it's a low serial number, and especially the door number. I do understand while some want door numbers or serial # 1 or the last serial #. IMO, it doesn't make it worth any more money to me, but it makes it slightly more desirable, because it provides a topic for conversation. In order to get that additional tidbit, I understand why some people pay a little more.

That's good information regarding the old Tampo graphics process. I work in a factory, so I'm always interested to learn processes and how things are made.

Here's a couple of links regarding Tampo printing if anyone is interested:
Tampo Limited - The Company - Pad Printing Explained
Tampo - Hot Wheels Wiki

(I knew the old cars were cooler, they had teets rubbed on them!):biggrin:

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
I like door numbers-- but as [MENTION=175]NEW2[/MENTION] said, they look the same sitting on the shelf. Still, it's a thrill when you open the box and see the serial number that matches the driver's number. Hell, I got a thrill when I opened my Harvick Okuma and had serial #0028-- oh so close and yet oh so far away!

I also like low serial numbers, but I buy for my collection, and I keep it in perspective. Since I was able to get my Harvick Okuma's for list price, I wouldn't pay over $200 for the door number of that car (and that's pushing it!). The problem it that these sellers don't have perspective; they're greedy, and as a result, great cars like that will rot away in some scalpers closet instead of being in the possession of a collector.

I also like owning prototypes and samples. You really can't tell the difference between a regular car and a sample (since they don't have the proto stickers on them) from a distance either, but the proto's are a different story. They actually have distinguishing features. That actually makes them a bit more of a conversation piece.

By the way, door numbers for anything except elites (and club cars/banks) were a non-issue before 2006 and DIN's. In addition, I find myself very hesitant to buy a pre-2006 door number because how easy would it be to switch a plate or a chassis to make a "fake" door number?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts