Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decided which one I should buy for my boy this year, XBox 360 or a Wii? I know if I go for the Wii for Xmas, it's going to cost me a little more then retail. What makes me mad is our Wal-mart next door to us, put out 25 Wii's yesterday at noon and they were all gone. For those of us that have to work for a living had no shot at all to get one. I came across a guy that lives less then 10 miles away from me list 3 of them on Ebay last night.

I got him PS3 last year and we have a regular XBox. It looks like there are a lot more games for 360 then PS3, maybe I should have went with 360 last year, or is it just the case where they have made newer versions of older games for 360? Aren't most games released for both PS3 and XBox 360? I know Halo is a XBox only game, is there other XBox only games? I ask because I don't know what all is out there, and I figured a lot of you guys here know something about them.

My boy is now 9 and loves to play the games. Game wise, if Halo is the only reason to have a 360 over a PS3, then maybe I should just stick to the PS3 and regular XBox and get the Wii. At least with the Wii, he can get some exercise. I may have to put a piece of Lexan plexiglass in front of the LCD but he would get a workout.

Just looking for some input from the gamers.

Thanks.

·
Beep Beep
914 Posts
decisions decisions...honestly when it comes to kids the wii is a no brainer...xbox 360 doesnt have a huge supply of games for younger kids, the wii obviously does. But like we all know you may end up paying more than you would have to for a 360. Bottom line the wii is definetly more fun for kids, but is it worth paying $300/400 maybe 500 no.

·
Crazy Supporter
11,650 Posts
I love my 360, don't have a Wii but sure want one. I would say for a 9 year old a Wii would probably be better unless he like games like Halo or first person shooters.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
I have a PS3 and have been exclusively Sony since the original Playstation. Before that, I had a Sega Genisis and a regular Nintendo, but found that it was difficult to keep up with multiple systems because you then have to decide which system to buy games for when they come out on multiple platforms. I would say that if you want to buy another system (instead of just more games) then I would also recommend Wii if you can get one because Nintendo has the exclusive kid-friendly games like Mario and Zelda. I see a lot of the PS3 and Xbox360 games crossing over (other than the few exclusives each on has like Halo for Xbox and Metak Gear Solid for PS3).

Honestyly though, how many systems does a 9 year old need?Or is it for the 9 year old and Daddy too???

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
In my opinion it breaks down like this:
Wii- Great to play with friends and family. Sometimes its not fun by yourself.
360- Very good for Online Multiplayer but you may not want a 9 year old on Live.

Have you thought about a Nintendo DS? Not as expensive and you get alot of great games. Then later on when the Wii craze dies down you can get him a Wii for his birthday or something.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info and help.

I went a head and bid on a Wii. I paid just a little more then what I would have in the stores with the sales tax, so it didn't hurt too much. What's going to kill me is getting all the accessories and a few games for now to get him started.

LOL Spool, I do play the PS3 some but not as much as him. I kills my old bones if I sit there to long. When I was about 20, I got a Nintendo 64 and played all night long when I was single. If they had these new high-tech systems back then, I would probably still be single and own every game I could. My wife doesn't play very much at all, but she told me if I were to get a Wii she would probably play more with him then.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
Let me know how the Wii works out. My wife doesn't play, but she has a passing interest in the Wii. She wants to try out the Wii Sports before we get one, but I can't find a place where they have a Wii set up with the sports game. They all have Mario on them now.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
dude you made a great decision on the wii

I currently own a wii and I gotta say its an awesome system you can download classic video games like Super mario bros 3 and sonic or you can get mario galaxy which is an awesome game, my personal favorite is pirates of the carribean where the wii mote is your sword

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the game info G24.

I got him a few new games, the sports games that come with the system, and the 9 games that come with the Wii games and remote. That should be enough to get started and we can get some more after the holidays.

The boy still has no idea he is getting one. We keep telling him over and over they just don't have any at the stores to buy. With all the shopping I do online and ebay, you would think he would have asked me to buy one off of ebay like I did, but he hasn't mentioned it. My wife is helping out playing along like we can't get one. The boy is going to flip out when he gets it.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
i remember when i first got a wii it was for my grandparents house we waited outside in the rain at midnight lol

but we got one and thats all that mattered. That is one of the best systems ive played yet

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the Wii hooked up and running. That thing is cool. I played a few games with my son and really enjoyed it. I believe it was money well spent for a xmas gift. The sport games that come with it are fun. Bowled a 172 first try on it which isn't to far off my real average in league bowling which is 187.

Should have gotten this sooner and I recommend it to anybody.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
The day after Christmas I was in Target, and they had 15 Wii's. I bought one and my wife loves it. She was playing Wii Sports Sunday Night, and she tried them all!! She even liked the boxing!!!!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
My kids love the Wii as do my wife & I. But the Xbox360 is more for older kids like myself as the Wii is more for the younger kids like myself! LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts