Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's have some fun with 2008 Predictions...

Daytona 500 Champion: Tony Stewart (thus causing 5 million Toyota conspiricy posts)
Cup Champion: Jeff Gordon
Cup Rookie of the Year: Dario Franchitti
First time Winners: 4-David Ragan, Dave Blaney, David Reutimann, Dario Franchitti
Biggest surprise-Jamie McMurray will make the Chase and contend for the title
Biggest dissapointment- Anyone connected to Ray Evernham. Will lead to Evernham "retiring" and a good 2009 for his teams.
Biggest "Upset": Kyle Petty takes a win
Comeback driver of the year: Bobby Labonte, who will return to Victory Lane twice this year. (Remember I have predicted this for three years in a row now...It's apt to be true sometime!)

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
I want some of the stuff that Billy's smoking.

·
Don't thank me, thank Justice Fruit Pies!
5,325 Posts
Heres mine...

Daytona 500 Winner: Jeff Burton (I just have a feeling)
Cup Champion: Jimmie Johnson
Rookie of the Year: Regan Smith
First Time Winners: Dave Blaney and Ron Fellows
Biggest surprise: Bobby Labonte makes the chase
Biggest dissapointment: Jr wins a race win Hendrick, but just misses the Chase.
Biggest upsets: Ron Fellows wins at Watkins Glen and Dave Blaney wins at Richmond
Comeback driver: Bobby Labonte

Some of my predictions might be out there...but I have a feeling they will happen.

·
Blast from the past
5,166 Posts
Daytona 500 Winner: Dale Jr.
Cup Champion: Tony Stewart
First Time Winners: Patrick Carpentier
Biggest surprise: All three JGR cars make the chase Jeff Gordon barely misses it.
Biggest dissapointment: DEI
Biggest upsets: Jimmie Johnson misses several wins.
Comeback driver: Bobby Labonte or Brian Vickers

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
There's no way a Yoter wins the cup. I don't car if Tony is driving it. You guys have a short memory-- didn't Tony miss the chase two years ago in his Chevy???

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
Here are my predictions-- not that I like them....

Daytona 500 Winner: Johnson or Gordon - with another year under their belt in the COT, they're just going to be better. (I'm hoping it will be Dale Jr. to celebrate the 10th anniversary of his Daddy's win.)
Cup Champion: Gordon finally gets his fifth, unfortunately.
Rookie of the Year: Hornish, just because he got Busch's provisionals for the first five races and gets a head start on the rest of the field.
First Time Winners: None
Biggest surprise: Newman and Busch both make the Chase.
Biggest dissapointment: JGR - Everyone is enamored by the testing speeds, but Toyota still isn't ready for prime time yet. The learning curve is still a lot, even for Denny, Tony and Shrub.
Biggest upsets: None
Comeback driver: Ryan Newman returns to victory lane and makes the chase.

·
Registered
384 Posts
mine

Daytona 500 Winner: Jeff Gordon
Cup Champion: Denny Hamlin
First Time Winners: Dave Blaney, AJ Allmendinger, Reed Sorenson
Biggest surprise: Brian Vickers makes the chase
Biggest dissapointment: Tony Stewart gets Toyota's first win, but ends up missing the chase
Biggest upsets: AJ Allmendinger wins at Talledega in a photo finish
Comeback driver: Jeremy Mayfield

·
No Agony, No Bragony
3,717 Posts
Daytona 500 Champion: Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Cup Rookie of the Year: Sam Hornish Jr.
First time Winners: David Reutimann and Sam Hornish Jr.
Biggest surprise-Joe Gibbs racing will not be dominate and may even struggle
Biggest dissapointment- Kasey Kahne
Biggest "Upset"- Casey Mears makes the chase
Comeback Driver - Ryan Newman

Kspool and I must think alike

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
I don't understand why everyone is jumping on the rice burner bandwagon this year.

·
Vengence is Mine
1,046 Posts
I predict we will have 26 meaningless races to all but 2 or 3 drivers (all having sub-par seasons) fighting for 12th spot.

We will then have an overhyped chase where 1 guy will be GIVEN a championship trophy based soley on his luck and possible hot streak (as compared to 11 other drivers) during that 10 race span of the season.

People will bitch about how boring the racing is and how nascar favors certain drivers because of tv ratings and money ... all while buying the products and watching the races.

At the end of it all, everyone will feel shafted except the fans of one lone driver who (rightfully or otherwise) holds the cup in his hand, thanks his sponsors, and walks off in to the sunset until a new year and new rules are again on the horizon and it starts all over again. :eek:)

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
BLACKER said:
I predict we will have 26 meaningless races to all but 2 or 3 drivers (all having sub-par seasons) fighting for 12th spot.

We will then have an overhyped chase where 1 guy will be GIVEN a championship trophy based soley on his luck and possible hot streak (as compared to 11 other drivers) during that 10 race span of the season.

People will bitch about how boring the racing is and how nascar favors certain drivers because of tv ratings and money ... all while buying the products and watching the races.

At the end of it all, everyone will feel shafted except the fans of one lone driver who (rightfully or otherwise) holds the cup in his hand, thanks his sponsors, and walks off in to the sunset until a new year and new rules are again on the horizon and it starts all over again. :eek:)

well damnit Billy, you just blew my whole season out of the water. now where do we fit our monthly argument in that? but you are probably close to what will happen. hopefully we will see a better Cup season this year and more to accurate finish to the cup.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Daytona 500 Champion: Casey Mears
Cup Rookie of the Year: Sam Hornish Jr
First time Winners: Dario Franchitti at Infineon
Biggest surprise-Casey Mears gets multiple wins and makes the Chase
Biggest dissapointment- Dale Jr with the best equipment misses the Chase
Biggest "Upset": Bobby Labonte gets a win (Just got a gut feeling)
Comeback driver of the year: Same as above

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
First time Winners: Dave Blaney
Biggest surprise-Dave Blaney wins both races at Atlanta. He has always been good there, and that combined w/Toyotas sucess since being joined w/Gibbs and the info sharing gives Dave his First and Second career Cup wins
Biggest dissapointment- Jimmie Johnson loses his touch and slumps for pretty much the whole year. He still wins a race or two, but bad finishes in the other races forces him to miss "the Chase" for the first time in the history of "the Chase"
Biggest "Upset": Casey Mears wins two (2) races
Comeback driver of the year: Ryan Newman, he gets several poles and wins at least one race, maybe two. The Rocket Man is "Back in the Saddle"![/i]

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Daytona 500 Champion: Dale Earnhardt Jr. or Gordon (They push each other)
Cup Champion: Dale Earnhardt Jr.
First time Winners: Hornish Jr.
Biggest surprise- Johnson doesn't make the chase!!!
Biggest dissapointment- Gordon winds up 10th in the finals of the chase, considering Johnson wrecks him 4 times during the chase!!!
Biggest "Upset": Gordon retaliates to JJ!!
Comeback driver of the year: Newman makes the chase!!!

·
No Agony, No Bragony
3,717 Posts
Cup Rookie of the Year: Sam Hornish Jr.
First time Winners: David Reutimann and Sam Hornish Jr.
Biggest surprise-Joe Gibbs racing will not be dominate and may even struggle
Biggest dissapointment- Kasey Kahne
Biggest "Upset"- Casey Mears makes the chase
Comeback Driver - Ryan Newman

Kspool and I must think alike
Thought it would be fun to review our 2008 predictions

I was way off on almost everything. Yeah JGR struggled their way to 10 wins!

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
:motz:Other than the Shrub, Toyota really didn't do a whole lot!!:driver:

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
First time Winners: Dave Blaney
Biggest surprise-Dave Blaney wins both races at Atlanta. He has always been good there, and that combined w/Toyotas sucess since being joined w/Gibbs and the info sharing gives Dave his First and Second career Cup wins
Biggest dissapointment- Jimmie Johnson loses his touch and slumps for pretty much the whole year. He still wins a race or two, but bad finishes in the other races forces him to miss "the Chase" for the first time in the history of "the Chase"
Biggest "Upset": Casey Mears wins two (2) races
Comeback driver of the year: Ryan Newman, he gets several poles and wins at least one race, maybe two. The Rocket Man is "Back in the Saddle"![/i]

Boy, I was wrong on EVERYTHING!!!! LOL! Billy hit the Evernham thing though didn't he?

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Um no comment on my predictions. Let's pretend I didn't make those. Fighter you had Newman right in your comeback driver. He did win 1 race, can't remember if he got any poles tough.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts